1/4 gallon of Milk
2 tsp of yogurt (unflavored) from previous batch or you may use the store bought yogurt starter. If you make yogurt regularly you will always have yogurt starter.
1-2 probiotic capsules
Boil the milk and let it cool down to a luke warm temperature. A little more than luke warm will be ok.
Get your starter and probiotic capsules ready.
Open the probiotic capsule and put the powder in the starter yogurt.
Mix it thoroughly.
Now take 2 tsp of this yogurt mixture and add it to the luke warm milk.
Do not put it on the cream. Move the cream to the side and add the starter.
Mix it well.
If you absolutely have no starter available, put some tamarind in the milk and leave it to set. This may take little longer than normal time.
If you live in a hot climate you have no problem to make yogurt. Just keep it on the kitchen counter for 4-6 hrs. without disturbing the vessel.
If you live in a cold climate especially in the winter, please follow one of the methods below. Please share with me which method works for you.
Setting the yogurt
There are different methods you can use to set the yogurt. I will share some methods. You can use which ever one is convenient for you. It takes 4 to 6 hrs. to set the yogurt.
1. Wrap your vessel with a thick towel or sheet and keep it on one corner of the kitchen counter.
2. If you have a pilot light on in your oven, just put your vessel in the oven. The pilot light temperature will be good enough to set the yogurt. Do not turn on the oven temperature.
3. If you do not have pilot light in your oven, place your vessel in the oven and turn on the oven light. Do not turn on the oven temperature.
4. If you do not have both pilot light and oven light, then turn on the oven to it's lowest temperature and place the vessel in it. Take it out when the yogurt is set.
5. Place the vessel in an igloo or ice box (without ice in it) to keep it warm.
6. Place it in a pressure cooker with some warm water in it.
You can get the yogurt starter from an indian friend, neighbour or from an Indian restaurant.
Once you make the yogurt that becomes your starter for the next batch of yogurt.
If you do not have any kind of starter, put a little tamarind in the luke warm milk and leave it to set. It takes little longer time but it works.
Do not disturb the vessel while it is being done.
If you use too much starter your yogurt will be too sour.
After the yogurt is set, keep the vessel in the refrigerator to get firm yogurt.
If you don't get yogurt in 6-8 hours do not rush and heat up the milk. Put the vessel in warm water for 10 minutes. Your yogurt will be ready in 10 minutes.
Eating a cup of homemade probiotic yogurt on empty stomach gives a good supply of probiotics.
Probiotic yogurt colonizes intestines with beneficial bacteria thus suppressing yeast and candida. It also nourishes intestinal lining.It will help digestion, metabolism and detoxification. You will see improved energy levels.
Do not add fruit or sugar to your yogurt when you are on candida diet.
The store bought yogurt may contain preservatives, corn starch and other thickeners to make it firm.
Please feel free to write your comments and suggestions below.
You may also like